Overview#Functions as a Service (FaaS) is where some amount of server-side logic is still written by the application developer but unlike traditional architectures is run in stateless compute containers that are event-triggered, ephemeral (may only last for one invocation), and fully managed by a third-party Service Provider.
Some implementations are:
- Trigger (Event-triggered) - A class of event emitted by event sources.
- Actions - Encapsulate the actual code to be executed
- Rules - provide association between a trigger and an action.
Functions as a Service and Synchronous Operation and Asynchronous Operation#
- Synchronous Operation - (Webhook) gRPC???
- Asynchronous Operation - Primarily used for background operations uses publish-subscribe and the outcome is not required in real time. Typically used with a call-back.