Identity and Access Management addresses the need to ensure appropriate access to resources across increasingly heterogeneous technology environments and to meet increasingly rigorous compliance requirements.
Identity Management Architecture includes the products, applications and platforms manage identifying and ancillary data about entities that include individuals, computer-related hardware, and software applications.
Identity and Access Management covers issues such as how users gain an Digital Identity, the protection of that identity and the technologies supporting that protection (e.g., network protocols, digital certificates, passwords, etc.).
Key survey findings#Ponemon Institute, a privacy and information management research firm, conducted this inaugural study on identity compliance. The goal of the study was to better understand how business and government organizations are ensuring correct identity and access management (IAM) rights within their enterprises.
- Although a majority of organizations are using Identity and Access Management (IAM) solutions today, two-thirds of them remain unable to effectively focus IAM policies and prioritize controls on the greatest areas of business risk.
- For more than 70% of the respondents, identity compliance is ranked as important. The top identity compliance concerns include both tracking access of temporary and privileged users and ensuring privileges match the user’s job function.
- Most organizations believe that the mission of identity compliance falls on the shoulders of four key groups
- business/application owners
- IT operations
- audit/compliance groups
- IT security Unfortunately, more than 65% of respondents feel that there is little to no collaboration among these groups further hindering chances of success.
More Information#There might be more information for this subject on one of the following:
- IAM Charter
- IDM and the Organization Dilemma
- IDMA Too Many Names
- Identity Management
- Identity Management Architecture
- Identity Relationship Management
- Identity State
- Password Management Methodologies
- Web Blog_blogentry_250816_1