Linux-Unix Integration Project#
Overview#Performed work as Subject Matter Expert on Unix/Linux Integration, Edirectory and Novell Identity Manager.
- Unix/Linux User Access and Authorization is implemented differently by three different areas within Nationwide.
- Extensive use of NIS including:
- User and Group Administration
- Solaris printer configurations
- Solaris Projects
- Nationwide has several Unix/Linux implementation utilized within their environment; including:
- SuSe Enterprise Server implemented on the MainFrame. (This is the current preferred platform)
- Solaris 10 and Solaris 8 (No new Solaris 8 builds will be implemented)
- Redhat AS-3 and RedHat AS-4 (No new builds will be implemented)
- AIX 5.2 and AIX 5.3
- Nationwide Services Company has previously implemented Novell Identity Managment System which is utilized to provision employees and other "user" accounts.
Project Objective#The Objective of the NIS-LDAP Integration project will centralize and standardize how Unix/Linux User Access and Authorization is implemented across the Unix/Linux platforms within the Nationwide Services Company environment.
Project Solution#The solution as implemented was:
- Creating a new connected Unix/Linux Edirectory Tree to be utilized for Unix/Linux
- using the PAM LDAP and PAM NSS modules as provided by the various OS vendors for Authentication and Authorization
- Using Novell Identity Manager for connections to the existing Corporate Identity Vault
- Auto creation of uidNumbers and gidNumbers using the Novell Identity Manager Drivers
- Utilization of SUN's NIS-To-LDAP service as a method to keep LDAP and NIS data to be consistent.
- Technical guidance for overall project decisions and directions.
- Schema creation and testing to work with NIS-To-LDAP service and the various OS LDAP Clients
- Work with Unix/Linux Administrators to develop management methodologies
- Work with Unix/Linux Administrators to develop LDAP client configuration, implementation and testing strategies.
- Assistance with implementation time lines and sequences.
- Assistance with Edirectory and Novell Identity Manager design and implementation.
- Assistance with internal security and design review documentation and certifications.
- Used the NIS to LDAP Tool for migration.
Add new attachment
Only authorized users are allowed to upload new attachments.