These specifications are in varying degrees of maturity and are maintained or supported by various standards bodies and entities.
Specifications may complement, overlap, and compete with each other. Web service specifications are occasionally referred to collectively as "WS-*", though there is not a single managed set of specifications that this consistently refers to, nor a recognized owning body across them all.
Some of these are#
- XML Signature
- XML Encryption
- XML Key Management (XKMS)
- WS-Federation Active Requestor Profile
- WS-Federation Passive Requestor Profile
- Web Services Security Kerberos Binding
- Web Single Sign-On Interoperability Profile
- Web Single Sign-On Metadata Exchange Protocol
- Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML)