Overview#AttributeSelection is an element of a search request provides a way of representing the attributes that should be included in SearchResultEntry.
Attributes are returned at most once in an entry. If an attribute description is named more than once in the list, the subsequent names are ignored. If an attribute description in the list is not recognized, it is ignored by the server.
Client implementers should note that even if all user attributes are requested, some attributes and/or attribute values of the entry may not be included in Search results due to access controls or other restrictions. Furthermore, servers will not return Operational Attributes, such as objectClasses or attributeTypes, unless they are listed by name. OR one of the attributeSelectors are used.
attributeSelector#In addition to specific attribute descriptions, a number of special values may be provided with various meanings:
- The string "1.1" (RFC 4511 noattrs) A list containing only the OID "1.1" indicates that no attributes are to be returned. If "1.1" is provided with other attributeSelector values, the "1.1" attributeSelector is ignored.
- The string "*" (the asterisk) may be provided to indicate that all user attributes should be included in matching entries. This may be needed if the server should return all user attributes in addition to one or more operational attributes.
- The string "+" (the plus sign) (RFC 3673 is a SupportedFeature 184.108.40.206.4.1.4220.127.116.11) may be provided to indicate that all Operational Attributes should be included in matching entries.
- The string "@" ( RFC 4529 is a supportedFeature OID 18.104.22.168.4.1.422.214.171.124) for Requesting Attributes by Object Class
More Information#There might be more information for this subject on one of the following:
- Access Log
- Glossary Of LDAP And Directory Terminology
- LDAP Post-Read Control
- LDAP Pre-Read Control
- LDAP URL
- Requesting Attributes by Object Class
- Retrieving All Attributes
- Unindexed Search
- [#1] - LDAPv3 Wire Protocol Reference: The LDAP Search Operation - based on information obtained 2018-11-08-