Card Issuers decide the requirements for Cardholder Verification Method.
Cardholder verification is used to evaluate whether the person presenting the card is the legitimate cardholder. There are many cardholder verification methods (CVMs) supported in EMV. They are:
- No CVM required (011111b)
- Fail CVM processing (000000b)
- Signature-Paper (011110b)
- Enciphered PIN verified on-line (000010b)
- Plaintext PIN verification performed by ICC (000001b)
- Plaintext PIN AND Signature-Paper (000011b).
- Enciphered PIN by ICC (000100b)
- Enciphered PIN by ICC AND Signature-Paper (000101b).
There are some method numbers that are reserved for further use:
- 000110 “011101: method numbers to be assigned by EMV , for example, for biometrics (see Appendix D, Section D.5.6);
- 100000 “101111: method numbers to be assigned by the individual payment systems ”a possible candidate is a One-Time password scheme (see Appendix D, Section D.7.3);
- 110000 “111110: method numbers to be assigned by individual issuers.
The POS Terminal uses a Cardholder Verification Method list read from the card to determine the type of verification to be performed. The Cardholder Verification Method list establishes a priority of Cardholder Verification Methods to be used relative to the capabilities of the POS Terminal. Different POS Terminal support different Cardholder Verification Methods. ATMs generally support online PIN. POS Terminals vary in their support of Cardholder Verification Method depending on their type and in which country they are located.
All Cardholder Verification Methods can be available on all payment types (credit, debit and prepaid) as defined by the Card Issuer. The Merchant or POS Terminal chooses which Cardholder Verification Methods they will support. The Card Issuer sets a prioritized list of methods on the chip for Cardholder Verification Method.
Chip Cards contain a Cardholder Verification Method list which indicates the AIDs supported. Various Cardholder Verification Method Condition Code effect which Cardholder Verification Method is required.
- the types of Cardholder Verification Methods supported by the Chip Card
- the Cardholder Verification Method Condition Code in which each Cardholder Verification Method should be applied
- their preferred order.
More Information#There might be more information for this subject on one of the following:
- Authentication Method
- Card Processor
- Card Security Code
- Cardholder Verification Method
- Cardholder Verification Method Condition Code
- EMV Terms
- Enciphered PIN
- Enciphered PIN by ICC
- Fail CVM processing
- No CVM required
- Payment Card Verification
- Plaintext PIN
- Web Blog_blogentry_010715_1