Overview#Dat Protocol is a Distributed File System Protocol that is is agnostic to the underlying network transport.
Data is stored in a format called SLEEP.
The key properties of the Dat Protocol design are
- Content Integrity - Data and publisher integrity is verified through use of signed hashes of the content. (Merkle Tree)
- Decentralized Mirroring - Users sharing the same Dat automatically discover each other and exchange data in a swarm.
- Network Privacy - Dat provides certain privacy guarantees including End-to-end Encryption.
- Incremental Versioning - Datasets can be efficiently synced, even in real time, to other peers.
- Random Access - Huge file hierarchies can be efficiently traversed remotely.
More Information#There might be more information for this subject on one of the following:
- [#1] - https://github.com/datprotocol/whitepaper/blob/master/dat-paper.pdf - based on information obtained 2018-09-20-