Overview#E-residency is a program launched by Estonia on 1 December 2014 which allows non-Estonians access to Estonian services such as company formation, banking, payment processing, and taxation.
E-residency gives the e-resident a Smart Card which they can use to sign documents. The program is aimed towards location-independent entrepreneurs such as software developers and writers.
is a transnational Digital Identity that anyone in the world can apply for to obtain access to a platform built on inclusion, legitimacy and transparency. E-residents then have access to the EU business environment and can use public e-services through their Digital Identity.
The primary reason e-residents are joining this community is to run a trusted location-independent EU business online with all the tools needed to conduct business globally.
E-residency allows you to:
- Establish and manage a location-independent company online from anywhere in the world
- Establish a trusted European Union company online in one day
- Manage the resulting company fully online
- Apply for a business bank account and Payment Card, and conduct secure e-banking
- Access international Payment Service Providers (PayPal, Braintree, etc.)
- Apply a Digital Signature to documents and transmit documents
- Declare Estonian taxes online