Overview#Host Name Resolution is the process by which a host determines the IP Address of host given the host name.
Host Name Resolution is dependent on the Operating System and the current configuration.
- Check whether the target host is the localhost
- Check local hosts file - This check is performed only if a hosts file has been configured.
- Contact DNS resolvers - This check is performed only if the a DNS resolver is configured
- Check local NetBIOS name cache - This check is performed only if NetBIOS is configured
- Contact NBNS - (Unique to Microsoft networks.) This check is performed if NBNS has been configured by creating a Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) record within the DNS database.
- Perform local broadcast. (Unique to Microsoft networks.) - Local host broadcasts a NetBIOS name query request packet three times.
- Check local lmhosts file. (Unique to Microsoft networks.) - This check is performed if an lmhosts file (local hosts file used by Microsoft WINS Clients) has been configured.