Overview#NTLM SSP (NT LAN Manager (NTLM) is a binary messaging protocol used by the Microsoft Security Support Provider Interface (SSPI) to facilitate NTLM Challenge-response authentication.
- Client/server authentication
- Print services
- File access using CIFS/SMB
- Secure RPC/DCOM-based services
NTLM SSP is used wherever SSPI authentication is used including Server Message Block / Common Internet File System (CIFS) extended security authentication, HTTP Negotiate authentication (e.g. IIS with IWA turned on) and MSRPC services.
The NTLMSSP and NTLM challenge-response protocol have been documented in Microsoft's Open Protocol Specification.
More Information#There might be more information for this subject on one of the following:
- Kerberos SSP
- Security Support Provider
- Security Support Provider Interface
- Windows Authentication Package
- Windows Integrated Authentication