Overview#Nonimmigrant An alien who seeks temporary entry to the a Government Entity. alien who seeks temporary entry to the United States for a specific purpose. The alien must have a permanent residence abroad (for most classes of admission) and qualify for the Nonimmigrant classification sought.
The nonimmigrant classifications include:
- foreign government officials
- visitors for business and for pleasure
- aliens in transit through the United States
- treaty traders and investors
- international representatives
- temporary workers and trainees
- representatives of foreign information media
- exchange visitors
- fiance(e)s of U.S. citizens
- intracompany transferees
- NATO officials
- religious workers
- some others
Most nonimmigrants can be accompanied or joined by spouses and unmarried minor (or dependent) children.