Overview#Registration ( or we refer to as Enrollment or Credential Enrollment) is defined in RFC 4949 as:
1. (I) /information system/ A system process that
- (a) initializes an identity (of a system entity) in the system,
- (b) establishes an identifier for that identity,
- (c) may associate authentication information with that identifier, and
- (d) may issue an identifier credential (depending on the type of authentication mechanism being used).
2. (I) /PKI/ An administrative act or process whereby an entity's name and other attributes are established for the first time at a CA, prior to the CA issuing a digital Certificate that has the entity's name as the subject. (See: Registration Authority.)