Overview #A STRUCTURAL ObjectClass is one of the primary ObjectClass Types.
A structural object class is special in that it defines the core type for any entry that contains it.
An object class defined for use in the structural specification of the DIT is termed a structural object class.
Structural object classes are used in the definition of the structure of the names of the objects for compliant LDAP Entry.
Every LDAP Entry is when created characterized by precisely one structural object class superclass chain which has a single structural object class as the most subordinate object class. This "primary" or "naming" objectClass can not be changed after the entry is created.
- Structural object classes are related to associated entries - an entry conforming to a structural object class shall represent the real-world object constrained by the object class.
- DIT Structure Rules only refer to structural object classes which allows the the structural object class of an entry is used to specify the position of the entry in the DIT;
- the structural object class of an entry is used, along with an associated DIT content rule, to control the content of an entry.
- The structural object class of an entry shall not be changed.
- Each structural object class is a (direct or indirect) subclass of the 'Top' abstract object class.
- Structural object classes cannot subclass auxiliary object classes.
- Each entry is said to belong to its structural object class as well as all classes in its structural object class's superclass chain.
The structural object class for an entry may be used by other LDAP Schema elements for defining constraints on directory data. The structural object class may be used by a Name Form definition to control the attribute(s) used in the Relative Distinguished Name for the entry, and in turn by a DIT Structure Rule to control the types of parent entries that it may have. The structural object class may also be used by a DIT Content Rule to control the set of AUXILIARY and required, allowed, and prohibited Attribute Types for the entry.