Overview#United Nations Standard Products and Services Code (UNSPSC) is a hierarchical convention that is used for Classification all products. (products includes Services)
United Nations Standard Products and Services Code entities are further identified with an 8-digit structured numeric code which both indicates its location in the taxonomy and a Unique Identifier.
An additional 2-digit suffix indicates the business function identifier.
An Example structural view of the code set would look as follows:
|Segment||43||Information Technology Broadcasting and Telecommunications Communications Devices and Accessories|
|Family||20||Components for information technology or broadcasting or telecommunications Computer Equipment and Accessories|
|Class||15||Computers Computer accessories|
|Commodity||01||Computer switch boxes Docking stations (Appears to be a narrow Industry Classification)|
|Business Function||14||Retail (Appears to be a broad Industry Classification)|
- XX Segment - The logical aggregation of families for analytical purposes
- XX Family - A commonly recognized group of inter-related product categories
- XX Class - A group of products sharing common characteristics
- XX Commodity - A group of substitutable products or services
- XX Business Function - The function performed by an Organizational Entity in support of the commodity